Father Joe

My photo
Philadelphia, PA, United States
Priest - Stella Maris Church - Major, US Army, Retired - Fr. attended Officers Basic, Advanced & Combined Army Service Select Schools. 1st assignment was 5th Bn, 101st AirBorne in KY, deploying in ’90 with the 101st to Saudi Arabia in Operation Desert Shield/Storm. Also: 5th of the 2nd Air Defense Artillery in Crailsheim, FRG for 2 yrs; Bamberg for 1.5 yrs. The Field Artillery Tng Ctr at Ft Sill, OK in 94 & 95. Post Catholic Pastor at Ft Sill in 96 & 97. In 97 to the USAG, Yongsan, Korea. In 98 to the USAG at Ft Wainwright, AK. 11/01 to HST USAG, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD. In 9/02 he deployed in Operation Iraqi Freedom, serving soldiers in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait & Iraq. His awards & decorations include the Bronze Star, the Air Assault Badge, the Meritorious Service, Army Commendation, Army Achievement, Korea Defense Service, Global War on Terrorism Service, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary, National Defense Service, Armed Forces Expeditionary, Southwest Asia Service, Saudi Arabia and Kuwaiti Liberation & Overseas Medals.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Learning From Experience

One of this Nation's greatest patriots, Patrick Henry, addressed the Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond Virginia on March 23, 1775. His address was powerful and full of determination that America would see the build-up of British weapons and realize that war was near. Most of us remember his closing statement, "As for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

I wonder, however, how many recall another famous part of that address. Towards the middle of his speech, Patrick Henry said; "I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future except by the past." The philosopher Nietzsche said, "We study the past so as not to repeat its mistakes."

It seems to me that we have not learned the important lessons of the past. I say that simply because we are repeating so many of them again. To me the important lessons of the past are those which reflect our need and dependence on God. If we can only turn back to God and ask His guidance, I believe this great Nation can once again live out its mission to teach Liberty, Justice and Equality as the gifts, given not by man, but by God.

God Bless You...

No comments:

Post a Comment